This cool climate Sauvignon Blanc is a fresh wine, showing powerful passionfruit and gooseberry aromas on the nose, whilst the palate is deliciously refreshing and crisp. 80% of the wine was cool fermented in stainless steel whilst the remaining 20% was naturally fermented in older oak to add complexity and palate weight.
Notes provided by Holm Oak.
The vineyards that winemaker Rebecca and her viticulturist husband Tim Duffy own in the Tamar Valley are steeped with a rich Australian (and sporting!) history; making their site probably one of the most interesting and unique in the country. The original and iconic use of their site was to grow Holm Oak trees to be used in making Alexander Patent Racquet Co. tennis racquets in the 1930’s. Sadly, the wood from the Holm Oak trees didn’t meet the standards to be turned into racquets but that’s where this story takes a fortuitous turn for the Tasmanian wine industry; grape vines were planted in this rich and fertile land in 1983. Using the original Pinot Noir and Cabernet plantings, Bec and Tim now also cultivate Arneis, Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Gris, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc. Greeted by a view surrounding the Cellar Door of breathtaking vineyards and orchards you can wander down the path to visit Pinot the Pig and feed him a few cheeky apples before reaching the Cellar Door. If Bec isn’t hard at work in the winery she may even join you for a glass of wine and tell you the story of how they came to plant 12 hectares of vines in this beautiful part of the world.