Waterton Hall is situated on the west bank of the Tamar River at Rowella, in Tasmania. Originally built in the 1850s as a simple blue stone farmhouse, it was extensively renovated in 1910 by the neo-gothic architect Alexander North, under instruction from the owner at that time, Charles Brady. Between 1949 and 1996 it was owned by the Catholic Church and operated variously as a girl's school, boy's home and retreat. In 1961 a second building was opened as a local school. The main building retains its structural integrity but requires some rehabilitation from the 1950s institutional modifications undertaken by the church.
Vines were planted in the late 1990s, and currently there is one hectare of Riesling and one hectare of Shiraz. High quality Riesling fruit has been sold since 2004, and in 2006 two tonnes were reserved for the new Waterton Vineyards label. In addition to a similar quantity for the 2007 vintage, 2.5 tonnes have also been made into a Dessert Riesling. For the first time, a commercial Shiraz will be produced from the 2007 vintage.
Situated in Hobart's historic waterfront at 2 Macquarie Street, a 5 minute walk from Constitution Dock and the Hobart CBD.
2 Macquarie Street
Hobart Tasmania 7000, Australia
Ph: 03 6231 5946
Sun-Wed 12pm - 4pm
Thurs-Sat 11am - 5pm
Want to hear more from the Gasworks Cellar Door?
Sign up to receive exclusive news deals and giveaways straight to your inbox.